Re: "Interrupt requested" in postgresql-DAY.log

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Louis Battuello <louis(dot)battuello(at)etasseo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Interrupt requested" in postgresql-DAY.log
Date: 2014-05-27 14:52:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Louis Battuello <louis(dot)battuello(at)etasseo(dot)com> writes:
> I have a PostgreSQL 9.3.4 database running on CentOS 6 with PostGIS 2.1.2. Each night, I run a cron job to dump (pg_dump) a few schemas for development snapshots. Everything runs without error.

> However, it seems that the dump process consistently results in a single line in the postgresql-*.log file. Oddly enough, this entry seems to ignore the log_line_prefix configuration parameter.

> postgres(at)db:/var/lib/pgsql/9.3/data $ cat pg_log/postgresql-Fri.log
> Interrupt requested

That probably represents some non-Postgres bit of code deciding to bleat
to stdout or stderr. The logging-collector mechanism is designed to catch
such output coming from a backend process, but it can't stick a
log_line_prefix on it.

What exactly is bleating, I can't say. A quick grep confirms that there
is no such string in the Postgres sources, but I dunno about PostGIS.
If you've got any code in plperl, plpython, etc, the culprit might lurk
somewhere there. glibc might even be to blame, though I don't think it
ordinarily prints error messages.