oidrand question

From: Darren Greer <dgreer(at)websightsolutions(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: oidrand question
Date: 1999-06-23 11:54:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello again all. First I would like to thank all those who helped me with the
multiple select statement. Thanks to your help, it is working fine.

I am in the process of using oidrand inside of a select statement. However, I
am noticing some wierd results when I feed certain numbers in. Here is a
sample select statement.

select * from listeners where station = 'KKLS' and oidrand(oid, 2);

This returns, as expected, about 50% of the results. Another:

select * from listeners where station = 'KKLS' and oidrand(oid, 3);

This return about 33%.

Now lets say that I want to get 75% of the results. I would put 1.333 in
there, but it does not return 75%, it return 100%. This tells me that this is
rounding to the nearest whole number. If so, how does one get say 75% of the
results?

Thanks,

Darren