Re: psql does not provide proper response

From: Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
To: Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general list <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql does not provide proper response
Date: 2022-01-20 18:50:01
Lists: pgsql-general

> shishaozhong(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>
> I do not know what happened.
>
> psql does not provide proper response anymore.
>
> I typed the following and see nothing.
>
> user=# select * from boundaryline.scotland_and_wales_const_region
> user-#
>
> Can anyone enlighten me?

This happens to me all too frequently. Then I kick myself and realize that I earlier said “\o spool.txt” (by hand) and forgot to turn it off with the bare “\o”. This is my typical use case:

\o spool.txt
\i script.sql

The script causes an error. I read it, see the bad statement, and then type the correct statement by hand. Then I see what you did: a big fat nothing.

Might this be happening to you?