problems with permissions

From: Eric Smith <eric_h_smith(at)me(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problems with permissions
Date: 2014-04-26 02:11:49
Lists: pgsql-general

All,

Having a problem dumping a database using pg_dump. This is Mac OS 10.9.2 and postgres 8.3. I'm using md5 for authentication, and have the appropriate .pgpass file with u=rw permissions in the user's home directory. I can access my database, called radiovision, using psql -U radiovision. I think that means the authentication is working properly (i.e. postgres does not ask for a password for radiovision or give me any authentication errors). However, when I try to create a backup using pg_dump -C radiovision, I am prompted for a password to which I respond with radiovision's password. I then get the error:

connection to database "radiovision" failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "DrRudner".

Why is postgres asking for a password for DrRudner? This is the mac username of the user currently logged in, and also the user that installed postgres initially.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Regards,
Eric