Re: Adding an extra boolean column to "information_schema.columns" or "pg_attribute"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding an extra boolean column to "information_schema.columns" or "pg_attribute"
Date: 2017-12-30 20:44:53
Lists: pgsql-general

GPT <gptmailinglists(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I would like to add an extra boolean attribute to table columns,

The contents of the information_schema views are specified by the SQL
standard (ISO 9075). Since the entire point of having those views is to
have a standard-conformant way of accessing the information in the system
catalogs, adding nonstandard columns would rather defeat the purpose.
If you can persuade the relevant ISO standards committee that this is a
good idea, we will adopt the change when it appears in a published version
of that standard --- otherwise, it seems quite unlikely that we'd accept
a change to the view definition.

You'd probably be better off to define your own nonstandard view, IMO.