Resp: [SQL] Concatenation in selects

From: "Fidelis Assis" <fidelis(at)embratel(dot)com(dot)br> (Tel +55 21 519 8408)
To: owner-pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org, "pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Resp: [SQL] Concatenation in selects
Date: 1998-09-03 12:17:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

>I know it can be done, but I cannot seem to figure out how to output to
>fields concatenated together in a select. For instance, I have a table
>with first_name and last_name as fields (among others). I would like
>display first_name and last_name as one field. I want to do something
>like:
>
> name=first_name + " " + last_name
>
>but of course within an SQL select statement. Thanks...james

Hi,

Try

select first_name || (' ' || last_name) as full_name from ...

if you have problems converting types to the ones expected by
the operator "||", try this one

select ltrim(first_name) || (' ' || ltrim(last_name)) as full_name from

where "ltrim" is used only to convert both, first_time and
last_time, to text. I wish I could convert among string types
(bpchar, varchar and text) without any tricks, but it seems this
is not implemented yet.

Fidelis Assis
MCI-Embratel - Rio de Janeiro

PS.:
1- The psql command "\do" will show the list of built-in operators
and "\df" will show the functions;

2- I use 6.3.2 with all patches applied and the OS is AIX 3.2.5