Re: easy way to acquire height / width from images (PNG, JPEG) stored as bytea?

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: itdev(at)gatewaynet(dot)com
Subject: Re: easy way to acquire height / width from images (PNG, JPEG) stored as bytea?
Date: 2020-04-17 14:39:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On 17/4/20 4:09 μ.μ., Adam Brusselback wrote:

> Why not extract and store that metadata with the image rather than
> trying to extract it to filter on at query time? That way you can
> index your height and width columns to speed up that filtering if
> necessary.

Yes I thought of that, but those are coming automatically from our mail
server (via synonym), we have written an alias : a program that parses
and stores emails. This is generic, I wouldn't like to add specific code
(or specific columns)  just for image attachments. However I dig the
idea of the indexes.
> You may be able to write a wrapper for a command line tool like
> imagemagic or something so you can call that from a function to
> determine the size if you did want to stick with extracting that at
> query time.
As I describe above, those attachments are nowhere as files. They are
email attachments. Also we got about half TB of them.