Re: pgAdmin 1.0-beta2 numeric(12,3) displayed as numeric(...,2) in View Data filtered

From: "Temp key: basic, via spamcop" <pgadmin-gts(at)snkmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin 1.0-beta2 numeric(12,3) displayed as numeric(...,2) in View Data filtered
Date: 2016-07-17 21:37:46
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 7/17/16 at 11:57 PM, Melvin Davidson melvin6925-at-yahoo.com wrote:

>I'm pretty sure it would be more helpful if you provided:A. The
>structure of the table(s) involved.B. The actual query you used to
>retrieve the data.C. Did you run the query in PgAdmin Query Tool or
>psql ? Melvin Davidson I reserve the right to fantasize.  Whether or
>not you wish to share my fantasy is entirely up to you.
No need for fantasy, so nothing to share.

I thought I was providing a simple report of a display bug in a
beta release product with sufficient evidence to prove there is
a problem and nothing more. I am trusting such bug reports are
welcome on this list. Otherwise please let me know where I
should be posting.

While I'm not sure how additional information would be helpful,
since no additional information changes the discrepancy between
the data type and its display, I am answering the questions:

The pgAdmin 4 screen shot snippet showed the "amount" column as
"numeric(12,3)" and the tabulated data below this header has
only two decimal places.
The pgAdmin 4 query:
SELECT * FROM accounts.transactions
WHERE transaction_ref=1506
ORDER BY transaction_ref,transaction_line

The psql screen shot snippet showed the underlying data does
have some non-zero digits in the third decimal place. ANd psql
displays the data to thee decimal places as per data type definition.
The psql query:
SELECT * FROM accounts.transactions WHERE transaction_ref=1506;

The table definition:
CREATE TABLE accounts.transactions
(
tax_code character(1) COLLATE "default".pg_catalog NOT NULL,
transaction_ref integer NOT NULL,
transaction_line integer NOT NULL,
account_item char_short_key COLLATE
"default".pg_catalog NOT NULL,
amount numeric(12, 3),
job char_short_key COLLATE "default".pg_catalog NOT
NULL DEFAULT 0,
transaction_memo text COLLATE "default".pg_catalog
DEFAULT ''::text,
alt_ledger character(6) COLLATE "default".pg_catalog,
CONSTRAINT transactions_pkey PRIMARY KEY
(transaction_line, transaction_ref),
CONSTRAINT transactions_account_item_fkey FOREIGN KEY (account_item)
REFERENCES accounts.account_items (account_item)
MATCH SIMPLE
ON UPDATE CASCADE
ON DELETE RESTRICT,
CONSTRAINT transactions_alt_ledger_fkey FOREIGN KEY (alt_ledger)
REFERENCES accounts.ledgers (ledger) MATCH SIMPLE
ON UPDATE CASCADE
ON DELETE RESTRICT
DEFERRABLE,
CONSTRAINT transactions_job_fkey FOREIGN KEY (job)
REFERENCES accounts.jobs (job) MATCH SIMPLE
ON UPDATE CASCADE
ON DELETE RESTRICT,
CONSTRAINT transactions_ref_fkey FOREIGN KEY (transaction_ref)
REFERENCES accounts.transaction_refs
(transaction_ref) MATCH SIMPLE
ON UPDATE CASCADE
ON DELETE NO ACTION
DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED,
CONSTRAINT transactions_tax_code_fkey FOREIGN KEY (tax_code)
REFERENCES accounts.taxcodes (tax_code) MATCH SIMPLE
ON UPDATE CASCADE
ON DELETE RESTRICT
)
WITH (