Re: postgre vs MySQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, rrahul <rahul(dot)rathi(at)cognizant(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date: 2008-03-12 00:42:50
Lists: pgsql-general

"Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm really hoping Sun will put a stop to such behavior, but wonder if
> they'll do anything at all.

> Sadly, the worst problem with the behavior re mysql releases is that
> it trains DBAs to NOT install updates. In fairness, I know quite a
> few Oracle DBAs who won't install patches right away either.

It's worse than that: it also trains repackagers to not be too quick on
the draw to adopt a mysql update release. I can tell you that new mysql
updates don't get into Fedora, let alone RHEL, till they've been around
at least a month or two. That's not laziness on my part; that's the
burnt child shunning the fire.