Re: blobs and small binary objects

From: "David Wall" <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: blobs and small binary objects
Date: 2001-01-23 22:16:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

I discovered type OID in the JDBC sample database for BLOBs, but I don't see
it in the documentation.

From a quick test, it appears that the blob itself is not stored in the row
itself, but is instead an object pointer of some kind. Is an OID actually a
fixed length field that points to my blob? Or is it more like a VARCHAR, in
which case it would be better to store it at the end of the row for storage
performance reasons?

David