Re: Dumping database using 8.1 or 7.1

From: "Jonathan Vallar" <bamvallar(dot)db(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan Vallar" <bamvallar(dot)db(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dumping database using 8.1 or 7.1
Date: 2006-08-08 09:48:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi guys!

I was able to dump my database created on Postgres 7.1.2 to Postgres 8.1.4.

It was a little hassle though because I have to manually remove "\M" from
the dump file. This is manageable.

I am stucked though with one problem

psql:si_t2:36: ERROR: missing data for column "remarks"
CONTEXT: COPY si_t2, line 145: <some data>

Upon checking line 145, there are no weird characters. Upon checking
the whole dump file, the db dump still containts

Sample data:
"jonathan \"
" "

I manually removed "\" and the new line. The problem still persists.
According to the table schema, the "remarks" field allows blank or
null values.

The database already has missing triggers and also has missing stored
procedures. I assume, some tables are corrupted. The pg_dump of
postgres 7.1.2 is unable to dump the db tables, triggers and stored
procs.
The pg_dump utility returns an error that it cannot dump missing
triggers but are still at the database catalogue.

Does this mean that I really cannot dump my database?

Thanks!

Regards,

Jonathan