Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework

From: walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de
To: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Date: 2024-06-12 14:56:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jelte Fennema-Nio:
> As scripting languages go, the ones that are still fairly heavily in
> use are Javascript, Python, Ruby, and PHP. I think all of those could
> probably work, but my personal order of preference would be Python,
> Ruby, Javascript, PHP.
>
> Finally, I'm definitely biased towards using Python myself. But I
> think there's good reasons for that:
> 1. In the data space, that Postgres in, Python is very heavily used for analysis
> 2. Everyone coming out of university these days knows it to some extent
> 3. Multiple people in the community have been writing Postgres related
> tests in python and have enjoyed doing so (me[1], Jacob[2],
> Alexander[3])

PostgREST also uses pytest for integration tests - and that was a very
good decision compared to the bash based tests we had before.

One more argument for Python compared to the other mentioned scripting
languages: Python is already a development dependency via meson. None of
the other 3 are. In a future where meson will be the only build system,
we will have python "for free" already.

Best,

Wolfgang