Re: BUG #18297: Error when adding a column to a parent table with complex inheritance

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18297: Error when adding a column to a parent table with complex inheritance
Date: 2024-01-19 09:00:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

18.01.2024 18:42, Tender Wang wrote:

> I think we can sort the role_addresses list and skip the same role id. I don't intend to fix above two issues in one
> patch.
> So I add a new 0001 attached patch.
>

> Perhaps, you would like to fix it in passing too. I've rechecked all the
> other object types, that can be DROPped with a list (namely, AGGREGATE,
> DOMAIN, EXTENSION, FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER, FOREIGN TABLE, FUNCTION, INDEX,
> MATERIALIZED VIEW, OPERATOR, PROCEDURE, ROUTINE, SEQUENCE, SERVER,
> STATISTICS, TABLE, TYPE, VIEW), and found that all of these handle
> such duplicate entries with no error.
>

> I'm not sure if there are other problems like this.

Yes, I've encountered a similar issue, this time with ALTER (TEXT SEARCH
CONFIGURATION):
CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION ispell_tst (COPY=english);
CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY ispell (Template=ispell, DictFile=ispell_sample, AffFile=ispell_sample);
ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION ispell_tst ALTER MAPPING FOR word, word WITH ispell;
ERROR:  tuple already updated by self

And again, I could not get similar errors with all the other ALTER commands,
that accept lists.

Sorry for mixing two different problems together, I should have reported it
separately.

Best regards,
Alexander