Re: int8 and hash index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Philip Poles" <philip(at)surfen(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: int8 and hash index
Date: 2000-06-19 04:10:45
Lists: pgsql-general

> "Philip Poles" <philip(at)surfen(dot)com> writes:
>> I'm having some trouble using a hash index on an INT8 field in
>> postgres7.0(release):

> Looks like we don't have a hash function defined for int8 :-(.
> This is going to have to stay broken until 7.1, given our rule
> against changing system catalogs for subreleases. Sorry.

Turns out that we do have an int8 hash function, but for some reason
its entry in pg_amproc is missing. If you need this problem fixed
before 7.1, you just need to do this:

insert into pg_amproc values(405, 754, 949, 1);

Note this only affects the database you do it in, not others in the same
installation ... but if you do it in template1 then subsequently-created
databases will have the entry too.

regards, tom lane