Re: restore problem with pg_dumpall dump (password authentication fail)

From: "Kenneth Lundin" <kenneth(dot)lundin(at)dacom(dot)se>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: restore problem with pg_dumpall dump (password authentication fail)
Date: 2009-01-03 18:43:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom,

Well, it's not really "I" that change the password, it happens in the backup
dump file created automatically by pg_dumpall.

The thing is as an administrator, you want to be able to take a backup at
certain points in time and then later flawlessly be able to restore that
backup and end up in exactly the same state you were in when the backup was
created. And since many times when you are doing a restore, you're in a time
pinch since something probably have gone terribly wrong, then you don't want
to have to muck around manipulating dump files in any way, you just want to
do an instant restore and get your faulty system up and running asap.

To my understanding, the prefered way of doing online backups in postgres is
using pg_dump to dump the database. And my point here was that there seem to
be a flaw in this scheme. The script generated by pg_dumpall fails in my
case when I'm doing the restore.

//Kenneth