Re: Lock contention high

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lock contention high
Date: 2021-10-12 15:37:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 10/12/21 03:35, Ashkil Dighin wrote:
> 1.Is there a way to tune the lock contention ?

Lock contention is usually an application issue. Application processes
are stepping on each other's toes. I have never seen a situation where
the database would be slow with managing locks. Postgres uses an
in-memory queue manager which is, generally speaking, very fast.
Applications usually do stupid things. I've seen GUI doing "SELECT FOR
UPDATE". And then the operator decided to have lunch. I'll leave the
rest to your imagination.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant