Re: BUG #18545: \dt breaks transaction, calling error when executed in SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Андрей Рачицкий <therealgofman(at)mail(dot)ru>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #18545: \dt breaks transaction, calling error when executed in SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION
Date: 2024-08-05 00:59:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Aug 4, 2024 at 3:09 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Any opinions about whether it's too late to do this in v17?
>> Post-beta3 is pretty late, for sure, but maybe we could get
>> away with it. And we are fixing a bug here.

> If this isn't going to appear in the beta3 build I'd say it's probably too
> late given the target audience for waiting on this is extension authors.
> If it is going into beta3 then I'd vote to allow it.

Nope, it's definitely not going into beta3; it's about two days
too late for that.

I agree fixing it in HEAD only is the more conservative course.
To do otherwise, we'd have to rank the #18545 bug as fairly
important, and I'm not sure I buy that given how long it took to
notice it. But I was curious to see if anyone felt differently.