select exact term

From: Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: select exact term
Date: 2013-03-28 17:51:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

Is there a way to create a select statement that will select a record if the exact term is found in a field that contains the text to describe something?

If I create a select statement using WHERE description LIKE 'art' I get every record that has words like depart, start and so on.
If I create a select statement using WHERE description = 'art' I get no results even though the word art is in some records description field.

Thanks

Marc