random_page_cost configuration parameter

From: Mathias Kunter <mathiaskunter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: random_page_cost configuration parameter
Date: 2021-12-28 10:55:00
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello all,

the documentation of the random_page_cost configuration parameter says:

> Although the system will let you set random_page_cost to less than
> seq_page_cost, it is not physically sensible to do so.

Source:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-query.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-QUERY-CONSTANTS

However, I don't think this statement is true. Consider the situation
where the randomly fetched pages are mostly (or even entirely) cached in
RAM, but where the sequentially fetched pages must be mostly read from
disk. An example for such a scenario is a database system which uses
RAM-cached indices.

Such a database system would be best modeled with random_page_cost <
seq_page_cost. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards
Mathias Kunter