Dynamic update of a date field

From: "Musial, Jan (GIUB)" <jan(dot)musial(at)giub(dot)unibe(dot)ch>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dynamic update of a date field
Date: 2012-02-16 14:05:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear all,

I have a question concerning default value/trigger function which supposed to update/fill field called time_stamp whenever a row is inserted. Let say that we have a table:
CREATE TABLE dummy (year smallint,month smallint,day smallint,time_stamp date);
I would like to update "time_stamp" dynamically without knowledge of a table name and using the values placed in the columns: year,month,day. The trick is that I have ~2000 tables which I populate with some time information, so either I could somehow fetch it to_timestamp() function in the Default definition of the field (while creating a table) or create a trigger function which doesn't require the table name (or retrieve it dynamically) and which is executed whenever a row is added to any table.

As I am new to postgres/plpgsql any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thank you in advance,

Jan Musial