Re: PG_Base Backup take 8 to 9Hrs

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG_Base Backup take 8 to 9Hrs
Date: 2022-02-10 00:42:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 2/8/22 06:36, Ram Pratap Maurya wrote:

> We are using Postgres -11 version and current *PG DB size is 450 GB* .
>
> Archive log enable in Database and we are running Full *PG_Base
> backup* and it will take 8 to 9 Hrs to complete the backup ,
>
> Please suggest  how to reduce the full DB backup time.

Use storage snapshots, faster disks, faster Ethernet adapters and backup
software that supports deduplication. You are asking the list to
architect your backup solution. For that, some more information is
needed: what kind of machine are you using, what OS, how much memory,
what kind of storage is your cluster running on, what kind of storage
are you backing it up to, how is the backup storage connected (FC/AL,
Ethernet, local SATA drives), is there any degree of parallelism and
things of that nature. In the absence of that information, I can only
recommend attempting with the --run-faster switch to pg_basebackup. You
may also try using the Force.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant