Re: Replication vs. float timestamps is a disaster

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication vs. float timestamps is a disaster
Date: 2017-02-22 15:45:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 02/22/2017 10:21 AM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> Only in the catalog though, not the datums, right? I would think you
>> could just change the oid in the catalog the same as you would for a
>> table column.

> No, in the datums.

Yeah, I don't see any way that we could fob off float timestamps to an
extension that would be completely transparent at the pg_upgrade level.
And even a partial solution would be an enormous amount of fundamentally
dead-end work.

There has never been any project policy that promises everybody will be
able to pg_upgrade until the end of time. I think it's not unreasonable
for us to say that anyone still using float timestamps has to go through
a dump and reload to get to v10. The original discussion about getting
rid of them was ten years ago come May; that seems long enough.