Re: copy from with trigger

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris spotts <rfusca(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: copy from with trigger
Date: 2009-04-06 03:26:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris spotts <rfusca(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to copy from a tab delimited file. The dates inside the file
> are Unix timestamp style dates.
> I thought the following script would do the trick, but it just gives me
> an error saying
> ERROR: invalid input syntax for type timestamp: "1238736600"
> CONTEXT: COPY testtable line 1, column acquire_time: "1238736600"

A trigger isn't going to help in the least for that; the data has to be
a valid timestamp before the trigger will ever see it.

The usual trick for this type of conversion is to load the data into a
temporary table that has simple column types (eg integer or text) and
then do your transformations during an INSERT/SELECT into the real
target table.