Re: How to write such a query

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Igor Korot <ikorot01(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jonathan Strong <jonathanrstrong(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to write such a query
Date: 2020-09-18 17:58:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/18/20 10:46 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi, Johnathan,
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:34 PM Jonathan Strong
> <jonathanrstrong(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:jonathanrstrong(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> Are you looking to arbitrarily update the field in the fifth row, or
> can the row that needs to be updated be isolated by some add'l
> attribute? What's the use case?
>

> What do you mean?
> I don't have any other attributes.
>
> I want to understand how to emulate MS Access behavior, where you have a
> form
> with the arbitrary query, then you can go to any record in that form and
> update any field.
>
> Is it even possible from the "pure SQL" POV? Or Access is doing some
> VBA/DB/4GL magic?

When you are updating a record in a form the framework(Access in your
case) is using some identifier from that record to UPDATE that
particular record in the database. From when I used Access, I seem to
remember it would not give you INSERT/UPDATE capability on a form unless
you had specified some unique key for the records. So you need to find
what the key(generally a PRIMARY KEY) is and use that to do the UPDATE.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com