Re: BUG #16772: Options --disable-triggers in combination with --superuser does not have the expected result

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: edwin(dot)polkerman(at)splendiddata(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16772: Options --disable-triggers in combination with --superuser does not have the expected result
Date: 2020-12-14 16:41:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Trying to create a dump with following command line:

> pg_dumpall -h <database host> -p 5432 -U user1 -f /tmp/dump.out
> --disable-triggers -S user2 -v

> User1 is a regular user and user2 is a superuser like the documentation
> states: "Specify the superuser user name to use when disabling triggers"

I think you misunderstood the docs; perhaps there's an opportunity to
clarify them. The pg_dumpall run itself has to run as superuser
so that it can extract role passwords, therefore user1 has to be
superuser. What "-S" is for is to specify a superuser role name that
the dump's output script can use *at restore time* to monkey with
trigger settings. That switch exists mainly because you might be planning
to restore into a different installation with different superusers.
Therefore, that name is *not* used during the dump.