Re: For index bloat: VACUUM ANALYZE vs REINDEX/CLUSTER

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: For index bloat: VACUUM ANALYZE vs REINDEX/CLUSTER
Date: 2007-09-19 12:30:16
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 2. Is this fill factor enough to have on the table, or should I also
> do a fill factor for specific indexes? Or both the table and the
> index? (I have four btree indexes on the table)

I don't think that fill factor can be applied to the table. The CREATE TABLE reference doc show
that fill factor can be used in the CREATE TABLE statement, but it is only applied to syntax that
creates an implied index.

i.e. CREATE TABLE test (
test_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY WITH ( FILLFACTOR = 70 ),
test_val TEXT );

Primary key will create an implied index. Fill factor is applied to that implied index.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.