Re: Can't drop constraint?

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't drop constraint?
Date: 2009-05-05 17:13:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

On May 5, 2009, at 12:08 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu> writes:
>> I don't know how they did this, but I have a table that has a
>> compound
>> field constraint. When I try to insert data into this table from an
>> app I'd developing the query fails because the data supposedly
>> violates the unique constraint on these fields. The fields are
>> first,
>> middle, and last names. The name I'm trying to insert doesn't exist
>> in the database, yet I can't put it in. When I try to drop the
>> constraint, which I can plainly see when I describe the table,
>> postgres tells me that the constraint doesn't exist. How can I fix
>> this?
>
> Since you haven't shown us exactly what you're seeing, we're just
> guessing ... but I'm wondering if the constraint has a mixed-case
> name and you've forgotten to double-quote it.

I'm sorry, I should have included this. Here is what I'm seeing.
This is PostgreSQL 8.3.6 on Solaris 10.

km_tezt=# \d "tblPeople";
Table "public.tblPeople"
Column | Type |
Modifiers
----------+------------------------
peopleId | integer | not null default
nextval('"tblPeople_peopleId_seq"'::regclass)
fName | character varying(70) |
mName | character varying(70) |
lName | character varying(100) |
ivlweb | boolean |
cnsweb | boolean |
"primary_key_tblPeople" PRIMARY KEY, btree ("peopleId")
"people_all_fields" UNIQUE, btree ("lName", "fName", "mName")

km_tezt=# alter table "tblPeople" drop constraint "people_all_fields";
ERROR: constraint "people_all_fields" does not exist

Thanks,
Carol