Re: AW: [Extern] Re: consistent postgresql snapshot

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: [Extern] Re: consistent postgresql snapshot
Date: 2022-05-13 04:11:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Whether or not you want to use the "normal backup algorithm" is irrelevant,
since if you try and start that snapshot Postgresql /*will*/ see the
instance as /*needing*/ to be recovered.

Having said that... our storage team does SAN snapshots of the *single LUN*
where */all/**of the Postgres* files (regardless of mountpoint) reside on
"my" Postgresql server.  When needed, the Linux guys restored the relevant
snapshot to a new server, changed the host name and IP address and Postgres
started right up, recovering just as if there had been a system crash.