Re: Possible bug in postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Possible bug in postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG
Date: 2001-10-19 01:26:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com> writes:
> [postgres(at)salmo rshepard]$ postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data/
> FATAL 2: open("/var/lib/pgsql/data//global/pg_control") failed: No such
> file or directory

> I don't understand the double forward slash, however, pg_control _is_ in
> /var/lib/pgsql/data.

Well, I can explain that: it's because you have an unnecessary ending
slash in your -D parameter. The code just concatenates "/global/pg_control"
to whatever you typed.

However, I doubt that saying
postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
will help --- every Unix I've ever dealt with treats two consecutive
slashes the same as one, just because it makes it a lot easier to be
sloppy about building pathnames ...

> I did see a reference -- somewhere -- saying that this was a known upgrade
> bug and the web sites had a solution.

Doesn't ring a bell with me offhand. Can you find that reference again?