Re: pg_timezone_names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: greg(dot)brown(at)csgi(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_timezone_names
Date: 2018-01-17 17:33:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

=?utf-8?q?PG_Doc_comments_form?= <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> We are exporting data from postgres into another "all in one" data store,
> and i had a quick question regarding the time offsets. The UTC_OFFSET, does
> it change when IS_DST is true/false?

Yes; utc_offset reflects the zone's current offset from UTC, so it changes
with the seasons if the zone has DST laws.

> Or do I need to take the UTC_OFFSET
> interval and then possibly add 1 more if IS_DST is true?

Prepare to be disappointed; you can't assume it works like that.
See the thread starting here:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2017-December/025682.html

You haven't said what it is you are hoping to accomplish, so it's
hard to say if there's some safer way to do it.