Re: BUG #15198: nextval() accepts tables/indexes when adding a default to a column

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: feikesteenbergen(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15198: nextval() accepts tables/indexes when adding a default to a column
Date: 2018-05-16 14:20:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 5/16/18 10:14, Tom Lane wrote:
> That's about what we'd have to do, and it seems like far more
> infrastructure than the problem is worth. All you're accomplishing
> is to emit the same error at a different time, and for that you need
> a named, documented data type.

In this case, they are putting the erroneous call into a column default,
so the difference ends up being getting the error at setup time versus
at run time, which is a difference of significance. However, that kind
of manual fiddling should be rare, and it's certainly not the only way
to create run time errors from complex default expressions.