Re: weird empty return from select problem; periodically get no data returned - could it be a network issue?

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Susan Cassidy" <scassidy(at)stbernard(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: weird empty return from select problem; periodically get no data returned - could it be a network issue?
Date: 2010-07-10 09:42:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Susan Cassidy wrote:

> Any explanations or ideas? The processing works, because other iterations
> of the program are constantly running, so the next attempt returns data, and
> runs as normal. However, it bugs me that sometimes a query that should work
> is returning no results, for no discernable reason.

In a producer-consumer model, at some point in time there should be between 0
and N items to consume. 0 item is no more weird than 1, or 2, or any other
particular value.
Personally, I would find it weird if a consumer process never had nothing to
do. I would see this as a hint that the producer is over-producing.

Best regards,
--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: http://www.manitou-mail.org