Re: localhost ssl

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: localhost ssl
Date: 2021-01-22 22:54:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1/22/21 2:48 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:

>> Check out this section:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/ssl-tcp.html#SSL-CLIENT-CERTIFICATES
>>
>> "...  the cn (Common Name) in the certificate matches the user name or
>> an applicable mapping."
>>
>> This section spells out what is needed for the various forms of client
>> cert SSL authentication.
>>

>>> I have specific roles accessing specific schemas via sql which is not
>>> schema qualified.
>>>

>> I'm  assuming this is some sort of security. Just wondering if there
>> is provision made for people who know how to do SET search_path or \dn
>> or schema qualify objects?
>>

> Honest, I've been reading 18.9 but as you can see it uses CN for host
> and then 20.12 suggests using CN for role.

Difference between server certificate and client certificate.

To get a handle on this is going to take an outline of what your
authentication needs are?

> Yes, I'm confused.  As I said in reply to Jeff, I would rather not need
> to remember to set the search_path, which I can avoid if I login as "role".

I have not seen that conversation and I do not see it in the archive
either. Is that off-list, different thread, something else?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com