Re: vacuum taking an unusually long time

From: "Mason Hale" <masonhale(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Steve Atkins" <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum taking an unusually long time
Date: 2008-07-16 17:08:46
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Mason Hale <masonhale(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Here's some of the strace output:
>>
>> select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {0, 10000}) = 0 (Timeout)
>>
>> If I read the 'select(2)' man page correctly, it appears this process is
>> waiting indefinitely for a NULL file descriptor.
>> That looks pretty stuck to me.
>>

> No, it's just sleeping. For 10 milliseconds or so.

Ah, thanks.

> Should I kill this autovacuum process via pg_cancel_backend?
>> Or is there a better way to "unstick" it?
>>
>> Any ideas what may have caused it to get into this condition?
>>

> It looks like "read a page, sleep for 80 milliseconds, repeat".
>
> I'd look at your settings for autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit /
> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay, and maybe the contents of pg_autovacuum.

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = -1
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 20ms

'select * from pg_autovacuum;' returns zero rows

I killed the one autovacuum process already that I thought was hung (via
pg_cancel_backend).
I can see one other autovacuum process running. The other vacuum process was
started manually.
Should I be concerned that pg_autovacuum is empty when I have an autovacuum
process running?

Mason