Re: psql \copy

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Steve Clark <steve(dot)clark(at)netwolves(dot)com>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \copy
Date: 2020-04-24 15:59:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/24/20 8:55 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using psql to copy data extracted from an InfluxDB in csv format
> into postgresql.
> I have a key field on the time field which I have defined as a bigint
> since the time I get
> from InfluxDB is an epoch time.
>
> My question is does psql abort the copy if it hits a duplicate key, or
> does it keep processing?

Aborts.

\copy uses COPY so:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-copy.html

"COPY stops operation at the first error. This should not lead to
problems in the event of a COPY TO, but the target table will already
have received earlier rows in a COPY FROM. These rows will not be
visible or accessible, but they still occupy disk space. This might
amount to a considerable amount of wasted disk space if the failure
happened well into a large copy operation. You might wish to invoke
VACUUM to recover the wasted space."

> Thanks,
> --
> Stephen Clark
> *NetWolves Managed Services, LLC.*
> Sr. Applications Architect
> Phone: 813-579-3200
> Fax: 813-882-0209
> Email: steve(dot)clark(at)netwolves(dot)com
> http://www.netwolves.com
>
> Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
> transmission may contain privileged and confidential and/or protected
> health information (PHI) and may be subject to protection under the law,
> including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of
> 1996, as amended (HIPAA). This transmission is intended for the sole use
> of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
> intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
> distribution, printing or copying of this transmission is strictly
> prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalties. If you
> have received this transmission in error, please contact the sender
> immediately and delete this email and any attachments from any computer.
> Vaso Corporation and its subsidiary companies are not responsible for
> data leaks that result from email messages received that contain
> privileged and confidential and/or protected health information (PHI).

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com