Postgres HA

From: Dylan Luong <Dylan(dot)Luong(at)unisa(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres HA
Date: 2017-02-22 22:58:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I am a DBA at the University of South Australia. For PostgreSQL High Availability, we currently have setup a Master/Slave across two datacenters using PostgreSQL (WAL) streaming replication. We use an LTM (load balancer) server that sits between the application servers and the PostgreSQL server that directs connections to the Master (and the Slave if failover occurs). We also have watchdog processes on the PostgreSQL servers that polls the LTM to determine who is Master and perform automatic failover if required. I am looking at options to improve our high availability.
I would like to know how other organizations in different industries (other than education) setup High Availability on their PostgreSQL environments.
What tools do you use. Are they commercial licensed products? How is the architecture setup and how do you do recovery of new slave.
Your information is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Dylan

Dylan Luong
Information Strategy & Technology Services
University of South Australia
A Building, Room E2-07, Mawson Lakes Campus
MAWSON LAKES
South Australia 5095

Email: dylan(dot)luong(at)unisa(dot)edu(dot)au<mailto:dylan(dot)luong(at)unisa(dot)edu(dot)au>
Phone: +61 8 83023629
Fax: +61 8 83023577
WWW: http://www.unisa.edu.au