Re: sysid

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sysid
Date: 2005-11-26 03:22:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Nov 23, 2005, at 10:45 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> A. R. Van Hook wrote:
>> It seems that in 8.1.0 we can no longer set the SYSID when adding
>> users
>> and groups.
>> i.e
>> template1=# create role hooker sysid 1345;
>> NOTICE: SYSID can no longer be specified
>>
>> I have lots of code that depends on the actual group and user number.
>> Is there a way to set the user and group number?
>
> No -- fix the code. Just curious, how can user code depend on the
> SYSIDs? I don't see a way.

If 8.1 doesn't allow you to remove a user who still has rights
granted, then this should be no problem. however, in older versions
you can delete users and leave dangling rights with no way to revoke
them unless you create a user with that specific ID and then revoke
the rights, and re-delete the user.