RE: Poor man's replication using WAL

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'adb'" <adb(at)Beast(dot)COM>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Poor man's replication using WAL
Date: 2001-01-26 22:01:45
Lists: pgsql-general

> Has anyone implemented a form of one way replication with the new
> write ahead logging in 7.1?
>
> I'm looking for a way to have a warm or hot standby server waiting to
> take over in the event of a machine failure.
>
> I know there's discusion about adding replication to future releases,
> I'm just wondering if anyone is doing it now.

I would recommend to use Rserv from 7.1' contrib instead.
Personally I would spend efforts implementing true sync
bi-directional replication rather than trying to use WAL
for replication purposes (one of limitation: you would have to
use same platforms for both production and standby servers).

Vadim