RE: AW: Backup, restore & pg_dump

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'Philip Warner'" <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: AW: Backup, restore & pg_dump
Date: 2000-10-16 22:07:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >I like the pg_{import,export} names myself ... *nod*
> >

> Sounds fine also; but we have compatibility issues in that we
> still need pg_dump. Maybe just a symbolic link to pg_export.

Yes, we still need in pg_dump, because of pg_dump is thing
quite different from WAL based backup/restore. pg_dump
is utility to export data in system independant format
using standard SQL commands (with COPY extension) and WAL
based backup system is to export *physical* data files
(and logs). So, pg_dump should be preserved asis.

Vadim