Re: timestamp with time zone question...

From: "P(dot) George" <invest(at)juun(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamp with time zone question...
Date: 2004-11-22 02:30:56
Lists: pgsql-general

> See the documentation for Date/Time Types and Date/Time Functions
> and Operators:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/datatype-datetime.html
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/functions-datetime.html
>
>> if so, does that imply that i can translate these stored dates to any
>> target time zone of my choosing when selecting the date from the db?
>
> Yes -- see the aforementioned documentation.

well... the examples in the documentation work, but they only use
static dates (hard-coded, i mean):

SELECT TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE '2001-02-16 20:38:40-05' AT TIME ZONE
'PST';

but, when i try:

SELECT mydatecolumn FROM mytable AT TIME ZONE 'PST';

... i get a parse error.

same thing with:

SELECT TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE mydatecolumn FROM mytable AT TIME ZONE
'PST';

any ideas?

thanks.

- philip