pg_dump error

From: <Mamatha_Kagathi_Chan(at)DELL(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump error
Date: 2011-11-18 07:01:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am using PostgreSQL 9.0. It is installed on Windows XP. I am trying to take a backup of the database using pg_dump. But each time I give a command

Pg_dump pgdb > backup.sql
I am prompted for a password and I provided the database password. After this, I got an error as follows..
pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database "pgdb" failed : FATAL: password authentication failed for user "windows user_name".

Can somebody please tell me what I should be doing to avoid this error?
Thanks,
Mamatha