Re: BUG #18549: Support ipv6 link-local addresses in the inet type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: git(at)j12t(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18549: Support ipv6 link-local addresses in the inet type
Date: 2024-07-22 16:36:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> One of the variations of ipv6 addresses is link-local addresses. It would be
> nice if they could be stored in an inet column.

> Example: fe80::249a:57ff:fed6:695f%host0/128 . Note the %host0

This has been discussed in the past. One problem is that there is no
cross-platform standardization of what the name following % can be.
So we couldn't do much better than accepting it on faith and storing
it as a string, which is not very nice. It's also very unclear how
such a marker should affect the semantics of inet operators and
functions.

Maybe someday somebody will get motivated to try to surmount those
problems, but don't hold your breath.