Re: Connect without specifying a database?

From: "lists(at)mgreg(dot)com" <lists(at)mgreg(dot)com>
To: rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connect without specifying a database?
Date: 2009-04-11 15:49:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Apr 11, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> The answer is still "no". :-)
>
> The usual thing it to connect to the "postgres" database (or to
> "template1" in older versions of PG), and then you can issue queries
> see what's there. You're pretty much guaranteed that one of those
> databases will exist (they're created by initdb), unless whoever
> installed the server did something strange.
>
> Ray.

Hrm...Ok, well, for the record, I'm moving some systems from MySQL to
Postgres and am in the process of getting familiar with it. I was
hoping there were some higher level management items like "show
databases", and "show tables", etc in Postgres as well. I also didn't
want to depend on there being a table there that I needed to "get in
the door" with, so to speak. I'm guessing no one in the community
sees this addition as desirable (or feasible)?

Thanks for the replies,
Michael