user authentication

From: u_andy(at)pisem(dot)net
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: user authentication
Date: 2003-04-11 08:02:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I do not understand something in PostgreSQL Security and I hope
someone will help me.
I've installed PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on FreeBSD 4.7
I made a paswword for user postgres but when I just do the following
command:
# psql -U postgres dbname
PostgreSQL do not even ask me for password.
The same thing happens when I try to connect to database via network.
So anyone who wants can make everything with my database!
May be there are some configuration files that I should change?
But why by default PostgreSQL is such unsafe?

Thanks.
--
Best regards,
Andrei Malashevich mailto:andy(at)chg(dot)ru