Re: how to effectively SELECT new "customers"

From: Jan Ostrochovsky <ostrochovsky(at)mobiletech(dot)sk>
To: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to effectively SELECT new "customers"
Date: 2014-03-01 14:24:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I'm not sure what you are going for since you keep adding additional
> criteria/constraints to your problem. At this point you are faced
> with a
> series of trade-offs between caching, speed, and flexibilty,
> complexity. I
> would suggest you break up your requirements into smaller pieces and
> not go
> looking for some kind of magic bullet that will solve all your
> problems in a
> single query. It likely does not exist.

> I would also suggest that you look into resources on data warehousing
> and
> the star schema; doing what you are trying directly within the OLTP
> is
> probably not the best solution - especially not on front-end servers.
> My
> experience in this area is thin but maybe someone else can make some
> suggestions and/or provide some useful resource links.

> David J.

Probably you are right. It seems, that there is no such single-query solution, just only with PostgreSQL. I will break it up into smaller pieces. There is medium-tern plan for data-warehousing, just this one task I will solve yet without it. Maybe this is the way to go then: http://www.jaspersoft.com/tour.

Thanks.

Jano