Re: backend reset of database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)leetuckert(dot)net>, John Allgood <john(at)turbocorp(dot)com>, "j(dot) >> \"J(dot) D(dot) Pearson\"" <jpearson(at)turbocorp(dot)com>
Subject: Re: backend reset of database
Date: 2007-04-09 18:12:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Is pcmiler a Postgres-specific backend extension?

> No. It's a standalone application that provides an api to build calls
> into there product from other applications. What we've done is created
> functions that are called from the database that use their api.

Did you recompile/relink these glue functions when moving up to the new
version? Are they built with debugging enabled?

The trace is *really* suspicious given what you say here. I'm inclined
to think that what is really happening is that something is jumping to
never-never land (via a clobbered function pointer or overwriting a
return address on the stack) and it just happens to end up in FileRead.
Unfortunately that guess doesn't provide much help for debugging it :-(