Re: how to correctly react on exception in pfree function?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to correctly react on exception in pfree function?
Date: 2022-10-13 03:34:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 11:08:25PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It may be worth looking at the GUC code, which has been dealing
>> with the same sorts of issues pretty successfully for many years.

> The GUC code relies on malloc/free,

Not for much longer [1]. And no, I don't believe that that patch
makes any noticeable difference in the code's robustness.

In the end, a bug affecting these considerations is a bug to be fixed
once it's found. Building potentially-themselves-buggy defenses against
hypothetical bugs is an exercise with rapidly diminishing returns.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/2982579(dot)1662416866(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us