Re: CREATE TRIGGER documentation inconsistensies

From: Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>
To: at(at)mtc(dot)md, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE TRIGGER documentation inconsistensies
Date: 2023-08-24 09:27:46
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 24/08/2023 09:50 CEST PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-createtrigger.html
>
> In PostgreSQL 14 and 15 (previous versions I've not checked) is stated that
> CREATE TRIGGER statement is as follows:
>
> CREATE [OR REPLACE] [CONSTRAINT] TRIGGER
>
> however while CREATE TRIGGER works correctly the CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER
> construction leads to
>
> SQLSTATE[42601]: Syntax error: 7 ERROR: syntax error at or near "TRIGGER"
>
> looks like CREATE TRIGGER doesn't support OR REPLACE, but documentation is
> then incorrect.

Works for me on 14.9 and 15.4:

BEGIN;
CREATE TABLE mytbl (f1 int);
CREATE FUNCTION mytrigger()
RETURNS trigger
LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $$ BEGIN RETURN null; END $$;
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER mytrig
BEFORE INSERT
ON mytbl
EXECUTE FUNCTION mytrigger();
COMMIT;

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER was added in 14. Did you test on an older version?

--
Erik