Re: Hardware recommendations?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hardware recommendations?
Date: 2016-11-02 17:40:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/02/2016 10:03 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:
> I'm looking for generic advice on hardware to use for "mid-sized" postgresql servers, $5k or a bit more.
>
> There are several good documents from the 9.0 era, but hardware has moved on since then, particularly with changes in SSD pricing.
>
> Has anyone seen a more recent discussion of what someone might want for PostreSQL in 2017?

The rules haven't changed much, more cores (even if a bit slower) is
better than less, as much ram as the budget will allow and:

SSD

But make sure you get datacenter/enterprise SSDs. Consider that even a
slow datacenter/enterprise SSD can do 500MB/s random write and read just
as fast if not faster. That means for most installations, a RAID1 is
more than enough.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. http://the.postgres.company/