Re: query_id, pg_stat_activity, extended query protocol

From: Sami Imseih <samimseih(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anthonin Bonnefoy <anthonin(dot)bonnefoy(at)datadoghq(dot)com>, "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com>, kaido vaikla <kaido(dot)vaikla(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query_id, pg_stat_activity, extended query protocol
Date: 2024-09-12 02:41:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> After sleeping on it, I'd tend to slightly favor the last option in
> the back-branches and the second option on HEAD where we reduce the
> number of report calls. This way, we are a bit more careful in
>released branches by being more aggressive in reporting the query ID.

I agree with this because it will safely allow us to backpatch this
fix.

> The tests in pg_stat_statements are one part I'm pretty sure is one
> good way forward. It is not perfect, but with the psql meta-commands

I played around with BackgrounsPsql. It works and gives us more flexibility
in testing, but I think the pg_stat_statements test are good enough for this
purpose.

My only concern is this approach tests core functionality ( reporting of queryId )
in the tests of a contrib module ( pg_stat_statements ). Is that a valid
concern?

> Perhaps. I'd need to think through this one. Let's do things in
> order and see about the reports for the bind/execute messages, first,
> please?

Sure, that is fine.

Regards,

Sami